When you install a garage door there are a few aspects to take into consideration – for it to add curb appeal
and, evidently, to help enhance home safety and security
. Garage doors come in a range of types and sizes, and each offers something different to the user.
When it comes to picking the door, it all comes down to a few factors – your preference, compatibility, and the type of project you have in mind
. However, there is the budget aspect to factor in as garage doors can vary in pricing quite a lot and you must find the type to suit your financial possibilities as well.
1. Sectional Garage Doors
They slide into the ceiling space of the garage and open vertically, which makes them perfect for short driveways or if you want to save as much garage space as possible. Depending on how you fix the door and the gear type used, you can achieve maximum drive-through clearance width and height
. As these doors generally have up to 42mm insulation, there’s the added benefit that they help you transform the garage in usable space
, like a workshop, office, or even playroom.
Average cost: The average cost depends on the type you opt for. When it comes to single sectional doors, it could cost you from $850 to $1,900. With double sections doors, the cost can span from $1,400 to as much as $3,500.
- Perfect for short driveways due to the vertical opening provided;
- Compatible with automation;
- Effective insulation can be achieved through double skinning;
- Compatible with most garage entrance shapes and sizes;
- Can achieve maximum drive-through height.
- After installing it, the roof cannot be used as extra storage space as the door slides into the ceiling space.
- Few design options to pick between.
2. Roller Garage Doors
Roller doors are perfect if you want to take advantage of as much garage space as possible. They open vertically and roll into the garage, and the doors don’t need space to swing out
, which is perfect for short driveways
. Suitable for most garage entrance shapes and sizes and available in a wide range of finishes, you are sure to find one to suit your preferences and style.
Average cost: The pricing varies depending on the exact type you acquire. For single roller doors, the price can range from $600 to $1,350. For double roller doors, the price generally ranges from $1,350 to $1,850.
- They open vertically;
- Help save garage space as the side walls can be used for storage;
- Provide superior insulation;
- Compatible with most garage shapes and sizes;
- Compatible with automation.
3. Up and Over Garage Doors
One of the more secure options to go for, up and over garage doors are among the most popular selections among homeowners. There is a wide range of materials they can be made with
, which adds to their versatility, and are available in two styles – retractable and canopy
. Canopy models are the go-to with entrances of up to 8 feet in width where manual operation is needed, while retractable models are suited for entrances of at least 8 feet in width or any size if automation is needed.
Average cost: With up and over garage doors, the average cost can range from $600 to $1,400.
- One of the more secure options to go for;
- Compatible with a wide range of garage sizes;
- Can be manufactured from a variety of materials;
- Automation compatible;
- Easy operation.
- There is a gap between the frame and the door;
- Insulation is inferior compared to other types of doors.
4. Automated Garage Doors
Most garage doors can be automated, as previously highlighted. So, if you already have a garage door that doesn’t necessarily need replacement but rather an upgrade, experts at Optima Institute
recommend that you install an automatic mechanism rather than replace the door entirely. Evidently, if you don’t have a door already or you want to replace the old one, you can buy a new automatic garage door, but be ready to spend a hefty sum on it.
In terms of safety and security, the automatic door is the best option as it decreases chances for a break-in
. Newer technologies make automated doors impossible to hack and open
, and there is the obvious added benefit of opening and closing the door automatically, without having to move a finger yourself or get out of the car.
Average cost: With automated garage doors, the average cost ranges from approximately $900 to $1,500.
- The best option in terms of safety and security;
- The latest technologies go into their manufacturing;
- Provides the most convenient access to the garage;
- Compatible with most garage doors;
- You can automate a new door or the one you already have.
- The automation addition makes the door more costly as opposed to other types.
It all comes down to preference and need, so there’s no saying that a specific door is the best for you. However, what is definitely preferable is to either opt for an automatic garage door from the get-go or install a garage door opener
on another type of door as you will be provided with added security. Seeing how most people generally deposit various belonging in their garages and that, in most cases, the garage provides entrance inside the house, it’s quintessential to take garage security seriously